[lbo-talk] In Praise of Rote Memorization

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 28 12:38:55 PST 2006

Professor friend of mine in college taught classical lit, had her students memorize 40 lines of Homer. Can't remember but I think it was in English. Universally they said it was the hardest thing they had to do in the class. Whereas Homer memorized the whole thing, of course, as well as composing it in his head. And in the old dyas -- say the Renaissance -- a scholar like Joseph Scaliger would have the entire classical corpus -- what we now think of the Loeb library of little green books -- committed to memory. Scaliger was extraordinary, but not in that respect. Anyone in the biz would be able to pull out the appropriate bit of Plato or Plutarch from memory. Francis Yates describes Renaissance memory techniques in her odd boo The Art Of Memory.

I guess I disagree with Yoshie about teaching critical reasoning -- it can't done on an assembly line basis, but if you have small classes or a teacher whp takes particular interest in you, as I did, you can learn a lot about thinking in school.