[lbo-talk] Nonprofit wages

Wojtek Sokolowski wsokol52 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 28 13:58:37 PST 2006

> Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
> >This is probably not exactly "exploitation" in the
> Marxist sense of
> >the term -- not much surplus value is produced by
> all the frenetic
> >activities of unpaid volunteers -- but unpaid
> volunteers do look
> >like they are exploited to pay for the salaries of
> non-profit staff
> >at least.
>
> But for the most part, those salaries aren't large.
> What are large
> are the paychecks and perks at a place like the Ford
> Foundation.
> Six-figure salaries at the top, and grilled salmon
> for lunch. Nice.

But the nonprofits generally pay better wages than for-profits when controlled for field: social services, education, child care etc. check out our MLR paper-

http://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2005/09/art3full.pdf

Also nonporfits are generally providing bettter benefits and more job flexibility than for-profits. http://www.jhu.edu/listeningpost/news/pdf/comm03.pdf

So what is wrong with better wages, more generous benefits and more flexibility for employes, unless of course one is a WSJ comentator?

Wojtek