[lbo-talk] Brian reviews Lars von Trier's Manderlay for MRZine!

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Sun Jan 29 09:17:31 PST 2006

Excellent review, Brian. I'm looking forward to Mandalay. I greatly admired Dogville, though I've had friends reject it as misanthropic, even "fascist". The final exchange between Grace and her gangster father - concerning the impulse of sensitive and well-intentioned middle class people like Grace to relieve the masses of any autonomy and responsibility for their backward behaviour - made it worth seeing on that basis alone.

It reminded me of the only other intelligent discussion of this relationship which I'd previously seen which was as well rendered artistically - Peter Weiss' Persecution and Assassination of Jean Paul Marat As Performed By the Inmates of Charenton Under The Direction of the Marquis de Sade, a neglected masterpiece from the 60s. It's a striking examination of the roots, contradictions, and historical value of social change, seen through the intellectual confrontation of the play's two main characters. The movie of the play - directed by Peter Brooks and starring Glenda Jackson, Ian Richardson, and Peter Magee - should be available in Dvd.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Yoshie Furuhashi" <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Sunday, January 29, 2006 9:58 AM Subject: [lbo-talk] Brian reviews Lars von Trier's Manderlay for MRZine!