[lbo-talk] Kinky... Why the hell not?

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 10:21:35 PST 2006

Doug Henwood wrote:
> Max B. Sawicky wrote:
>
>> I'm inclined to be supportive for various reasons, but the talk about
>> "closing the border" and the alleged cost of providing public
>> services to
>> illegals is a big problem. It's common for populists to make some
>> kind of
>> concession to conservatism. This one is not a good choice.
>
> Concessions? Or is that "conservatism" part of the populist territory?
> Has there ever been a populist movement that wasn't nationalist? It
> seems inseparable from the Us against Them, Insider/Outsider
> psychology of populism.
>
> Doug

Reality Check (I hate that!):

Could one pause to consider that believing that undocumented immigrants present some kind of net negative impact on a state's budget unless there is some action by the Federal gov't to alleviate the problem?

Unfortunately, that 'alleviation' comes in the form of INSs and border fences... but that doesn't mean that a politician has no right to say it, or believe in other options, which may or may not get stated plainly due to the social or political environment they have to work with... The arena that social movements get to change [snicker], not governors OR governments.

[...or for the 'pundidiots' to take every word out of context, even the context of reality. Like Hugo Chavez's recent 'anti-semetic remark']

Leigh