[lbo-talk] In Praise of Rote Memorization

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 30 11:40:54 PST 2006

--- Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

> I hadn't memorized much by then, and what I had
> memorized wasn't of
> great quality, but repeating my small stock of
> memorized verse over and
> over sort of helped me get through the night.

Yes, this is the best reason in my opinion, and I have some poems memorized for such situations (though usually not that grave). Otherwise, I prefer to ABSORB material (memorize it as a result of working with it) rather than rote memorization. I am not arguing that is better, just what works for me.

-Thomas