[lbo-talk] the black guy in the red tunic

Andy F andy274 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 09:18:30 PST 2006

Whether by dint of deficiencies in my exposure to popular culture or of where and when I was raised, I never consciously noticed on my own the unusually low life expectancy of secondary black characters in action movies and TV shows. So after this plot convention gets pointed out to me a couple of years ago, I start seeing it everywhere, like that Far Side cartoon with all the people walking around on the street carrying ducks under their arms.

Then I forget that not everybody notices the ducks. In the new King Kong, shortly after the crew is decimated in a dinosaur stampede and the survivors find themselves on a precarious log perched over an abyss, the experienced and loyal first mate (who happens to be black) volunteers to explore that dark, thirty-foot diameter cave mouth over there, armed with a pistol, leaving behind the armory of submachine guns. The shot turns to the perspective from inside the cave, with the first mate framed against the entrance, warily scanning the hopelessly pitch black interior, and the remaining crew clinging to the tree trunk in the background. So I think, "Ah hah! Comic relief coming up! Those other crewmembers are going to get silently picked off by Something Horrible! Jackson is reading my mind and stealing my ideas! Then again, who could miss such an obv.... Oh. Ugh. Never mind."

That's not a spoiler.

The other day there's this poster advertising Skechers shoes. It's done in an ironic combination of James Bond and early Old Navy commercials, with evil geniuses, cunning vixens, square-jawed heroes riding dangerous experimental vehicles, and a black man succumbing to a vampire while the white one fends others off with a stake.

So, does anybody catalog this stuff? Bonus for web sources.

Thanks,

-- Andy