[lbo-talk] Re: Brian On "Brokeback Mountain" & "The Reception"

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Tue Jan 31 09:31:26 PST 2006

BklynMagus wrote:

>Dear List:
>
>I endorse all that Yoshie said. Lee is careful not to show anything outside of a controlled, closed world in his film.

What Lee shows is reality for most of this country right now.

>According to the logic of his film, being queer is unnatural.

Absolutely not. What the film argues is that being unable to live one's passions is unnatural.

>Also, in my article I point out a key moment -- the transition from the two shepherds having sex to the sheep killed by a coyote -- a consequence where queer sex leads to gory death -- as if nature itself were in revulsion of what had happened in that tent.

I think that's called forshadowing, but I don't think it's an argument that queer sex leads to gory death in some kind of inevitable way.

Anyway, I think we've got another one of those diffs as with Million Dollar Baby; so you know. That's fine.

Joanna