[lbo-talk] OK, Nathan

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jan 31 14:40:49 PST 2006

Nathan Newman wrote:

> [...]

As it happens, I was just reading the bits in Bob Fitch's excellent new book, Solidarity for Sale, that reviews the history of unions & public health insurance. It's hideous. Gompers opposed it - thought it would emasculate the worker. Sweeney voted against it within the AFL-CIO in the early 1990s. (Cue to John Lacny to fulminate about this.) And one of the reasons for this, Fitch argues, is union-controlled benefit funds, which have been sinkholes of corruption. (Sweeney's vote, Fitch argues, was because the SEIU has so many workers in private-sector health care.) But aside from the corrupting influence of such funds, they would be fragmented and horribly inefficient, duplicating the preposterous administrative costs of the US system. So this is a very bad idea. And not likely to have much public support if it bears the union label.

Doug