[lbo-talk] Re: Brian On "Brokeback Mountain" & "The Reception"

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Tue Jan 31 18:31:24 PST 2006

info at pulpculture.org wrote:

> I actually agree with you when you question that reading of the film.
> However, I do think that Yoshie's point about Lee's oeuvre hit home:
> that it's his stylistic tick.

I'm not sure about that. The Ice Storm was a movie about the seventies. It didn't capture an entire era, but it did capture what got advertised as "freedom" but was nothing more than a last gasp at escape. The kids don't die because their parents are having fun. Those "swinging" scenes are pretty depressing. They die because no one is paying attention and because the grownups are doing nothing about creating a world that is worth living in. And it was important that he picked the seventies, because it was in that era that some people were still fighting and that important choices could still be made.

I haven't seen the Hulk, and I found Crouching Tiger more pictoresque than meaningful, but Pushing Hands, The Wedding Banquet, Eat Drink Man Woman, The Ice Storm, and Brokeback are all movies that are worthwhile to watch.

Also, as I saw it, Brokeback is as much about being poor in America as it is about being gay. And that was another thing I really liked about it. Think about Enis' seedy trailer after a lifetime of backbreaking work -- a trailer with a small dusty window through which you can see the whole of what is denied to everyone: to the poor because they are worked to death; to the rich because they cannot comprehend its beauty. They can only exploit it.

Joanna