Send Lawyers, Guns and Money (Was RE: [lbo-talk] Kinky... Why the hell not?)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 31 21:16:23 PST 2006

Brit cops still (mostly) don't have guns.

I don't buy the constitutional argument for a 2d Amendment right to bear arms. I'm not an originalist, so I don't really care what the founders meant, but I am a textualist of sorts, and the introductory clause of the @A (about the "well-regulated militia") is hard to square with the idea that the right to bear arms is individual.

However, I also believe in the "living constitution" and not fighting lost battles, so, as I said before, let the gun nuts have their AR-15s, and if the S.Ct wants to overrule Miller (holding taht the 2A only establishes a collerctive right to bear arm in the context of a well-regulated militia) and make the 2A mean that there is some sort of individual right to bear arms with respect to federal law, I say fine.

Btw, Miller's not the only case that would have to go. The BoR on its face, including the 2A, only restricts what the federal govt can do. To get the BoR to apply to the states, the Court has to rule that an amendment is "incorporated," that it applies to the states via the 14A. There are specific cases on each of the applicable amendments in the BoR. Thus the 1A, the 4A, the 5A, the 6A, the 7A, and the 8A are all specifically incorporated. (The 3A, the 9A, and the 10A don't call for incorporation, though the 3A might if the states started quartering the National Guard in our homes . . . .)

Back in the 1880s, the S.Ct ruled that the 2A is NOT incorporated, and so does not apply to state regulation of guns. So even if the 2A prohibits federal gun control, it doesn't prohibit state gun control.

However, if the gun nuts want to get rid of state gun control,I say fine, give them that too. Having to incorporate the 2A and overrule the old case, the name of which I forget, is just an extra impediment that I point out because I'm a lawyer and therefore boringly legalistic.