[lbo-talk] Dog sucks the big Chuck

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 1 08:17:23 PDT 2006

Chip Berlet:

And, in case it is not obvious, the original subject line manages to be both homophobic, and insulting to organizers like me who are people of faith trying to organize within that community.

Chip, I have tremendous respect for and sympathy with your efforts, but your statement calls for a little unpacking.

To see the subject line as homophobic and insulting a person would have to:

a.) Believe in God

b.) Believe this God has human male characteristics

c.) See the use of implied male on male suck-to-it-ta-ness as a slap against Gay people because it subtly asserts same sex lovin to be a joke or a problem.

Of the three, right now, I find the male God figure hypothesis to be the most interesting artifact.

I mean, omnipotent and omniscient aren't human attributes; those abilities are way above our mortal pay grade. If God is able, as my Sunday School teacher insisted when I geekily pressed her, to lazily contemplate the motions of galaxies while checking in on whether or not randy humans keep it zipped prior to marriage it's a safe bet the configuration of consciousness is quite thoroughly alien.

Which is why the idea of a male god seems even more astounding to me then the already quite astounding idea of god itself.

Do you, as a "person of faith", believe in a gendered deity?

.d.

--------- The 21st century's mightiest blogo-techno-cryto-orgasmo-fascist!

http://monroelab.net/blog/