[lbo-talk] TNR: Bloomberg for President

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Sat Jul 1 10:46:13 PDT 2006

At around 1/7/06 1:26 pm, Doug Henwood wrote:
> On Jul 1, 2006, at 12:47 PM, ravi wrote:
>
>> This was way too long for my short attention span, so can someone tell
>> me if I got it right: he will, according to this piece, potentially run
>> as an independent? Would the Democrats consider recruiting him to run on
>> a Dem ticket?
>
> If he runs, it'd probably be as an independent. He's hinted he'd put up
> to $500m into a campaign. I hate to say this, but I'd rather see him
> than Hillary or McCain.

Why would you hate to say this? Afraid the anti-ABB crowd will tar and feather you? ;-). I would gladly take him against Hillary or McCain. I hope on a Dem ticket. Would he turn down such an option if Dem activists where to aproach him? AFAIK the man was in principle a Democrat before he chose the GOP just so he could run for Mayor? Even with 1/2 a billion, wouldn't he have a better shot at it on a party ticket? I cannot imagine an independent candidate winning the presidential race, in these days. Unlike Forbes or Perot, he is a pragmatic fellow, yes?

Also, what is LBO thought on Colin Powell? How about the chances of a Hagel-Powell ticket?

--ravi

-- Support something better than yourself: ;-) PeTA: http://www.peta.org/ GreenPeace: http://www.greenpeace.org/