[lbo-talk] David Graeber (was Re: Ward Churchill responds)

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 1 22:17:44 PDT 2006

Well, as even Doug seemed to suggest, Yale anthropologist David Graeber should be defended as adamantly as Ward Churchill. Graeber, also a radical left scholar and activist, was recently dismissed from academia, too. Graeber's scholarship has never been issue, unlike Churchill's. No plagiarism or falsifications. This one's pure politics. Graeber organized anti-globo protests, was/is an IWW member, and actively supported Yale's GESO grad union, among other heterodox things.

I have my suspicions as to why Graeber's dismissal is not as big a deal here as Churchill's. But why should I voice my unfounded assumptions? :) Indeed, the motivations of the attack on Churchill are pretty shitty.

I uploaded a video of David Graeber on the Charlie Rose show, to YouTube. It was filmed shortly after Graeber was fired. YouTube allowed me a maximum of ten minutes or else I'd have put up the whole thing. Chomskytorrents.org has the full Charlie Rose interview, btw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uajHCIU876I

-B.