[lbo-talk] Just peace loving sheepherders...

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Jul 3 05:58:40 PDT 2006

Chuck Grimes wrote:

> No social and political belief systems attend these faiths. Rather,
> these faiths attach themselves to various social and political belief
> systems...
>
> The faiths have no necessary political social implications
> whatever...Those within the faiths simply mold their faiths to fit
> their social and political beliefs, which are otherwise grounded.
>
> Carrol
>
> ---------
>
> Come on Carrol, I am taking them at their word. You must have missed
> the headlines lately. We are not in an ideological debate, but a
> rather bloody series of wars that claim to be ideological---war of
> civilizations and so forth.

We have been in a series of bloody wars, many of them rather bloodier, for well over a century, and only a small proportion of those who led us into those wars (who are leading us in the present war) even _claim_ to be doing so in terms of religious doctrine. You are confusing one of the many masks of imperialism with imperialism itself.

Carrol