[lbo-talk] Britons tire of cruel, vulgar US: poll

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon Jul 3 10:36:26 PDT 2006

Mike Larkin quoted:

In answer to other questions, a majority of the Britons questions described Americans as uncaring, divided by class, awash in violent crime, vulgar, preoccupied with money, ignorant of the outside world, racially divided, uncultured and in the most overwhelming result (90 percent of respondents) dominated by big business.

[WS:] Looks like a kettle calling a pot black. I just returned from Scotland, where I had a chance of witnessing the riff-raff and sports fans in action - loud, obnoxious, jingoistic, aggressive and vulgar.

I think the question itself is based on a false premise that there are bigger differences among rather than within nations. In reality, it seems that there are bigger differences within countries than between them. The riff-raff is uncaring, violent and vulgar everywhere, be it the US, the UK, France, Germany, Russia, or India. One can also find cultured and educated people in any of these countries - and these people have more in common with each other, despite their different nationalities, than with their riff-raff countrymen.

Wojtek