[lbo-talk] Footnotes to history

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu Jul 6 10:02:09 PDT 2006

The New York Times

July 6, 2006

F. Mark Wyatt, 86, C.I.A. Officer, Is Dead

By TIM WEINER

F. Mark Wyatt, a career Central Intelligence Agency officer who played

a significant role in the agency's first major cold war covert action,

an operation to swing the Italian elections of 1948, died on Thursday

in Washington. He was 86.

The cause was complications of a stroke, said his daughter, Susan

Wyatt.

Mr. Wyatt joined the C.I.A.'s clandestine service in 1948, months

after the agency's birth, and plunged into its first successful covert

effort. The mission was to ensure the electoral victory of Italy's

Christian Democrats over the Communist Party.

Mr. Wyatt helped deliver millions of dollars to the eventual victors;

the precise cost of the covert campaign has never been declassified,

though the details of the operation were.

"We had bags of money that we delivered to selected politicians, to

defray their political expenses, their campaign expenses, for posters,

for pamphlets," Mr. Wyatt said in a 1995 interview recorded for "Cold

War," a 1998 documentary shown on CNN. Suitcases filled with cash had

changed hands in the four-star Hotel Hassler in Rome, he said. The

Christian Democrats won the elections by a comfortable margin and

formed a government that excluded the Communists.

The C.I.A.'s practice of buying political clout was repeated in every

Italian election for the next 24 years [i.e, until 1972], and the

agency's political influence in Rome lasted a generation, declassified

records show.

<end excerpt>

Michael