[lbo-talk] Was: advances in political science

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Fri Jul 7 09:28:46 PDT 2006

Chuck Grimes wrote:

>But the practical species-being of our age has simply turned out to be
>the same old collection of snakes skins. It is as if the egotistic man
>(Marx's term) of our age faced with its individual or ego dissolution
>into social power, something greater than itself, did not see the
>fraternity of species-being, but rather saw the abyss.

There is absolutely nothing in our culture that offers the "fraternity of species-being" -- not work, not the disintegrating family, not the nonexistent community. There is nothing but abyss, from which one is protected by material goods on the material side and by religion on the psychological side.

j.