[lbo-talk] language

info at pulpculture.org info at pulpculture.org
Sun Jul 9 11:18:59 PDT 2006

At 01:41 PM 7/9/2006, Carrol Cox wrote:

>Doug Henwood wrote:
> >
> > Sooo...what do you call a boy infant's genital package, assuming
> > that's the word/phrase he will probably pick up? "Penis" sounds too
> > clinical; "cock," too sexual; "wee-wee," too goofy.
>
>Haven't the foggiest idea -- but the problem can be not what the boy
>picks up but what the adults around him pick up from the language they
>use to him/her. One night when some friends let off my older daughter at
>our house (at a time when our son was around one year) she called out to
>them as she got out of the car, "Nighty-night."
>
>Incidentally, I vaguely remember reading someplace lately that there is
>a rationale (which I forget now) for using baby-talk to infants.
>
>Carrol

I read that one too.

I guess I must have used penis. I don't remember for sure, but I do know that at least twice, sonshine used the word in public in a humorous way. He thinks it's a laff-riot for me to tell his girlfriends one story. We were driving somewhere with some friends. We went over a whoop-de-doo in the road -- a short dip where the car quickly goes down a small hill and back up another. Sonshine calls out from the back seat to say, "Mom, that makes my penis feel funny!" much to the delight of everyone in the car -- all of whom happened to be men.

I think I already told the other story here. After I talked to Sonshine about reproduction a bit -- after the first question, "Where do babies come from?" -- he came strolling out of his bedroom. As we generally the case, he was without clothing since the kid was and still is a total nudist. First thing he'd do when we got inside was to strip everything off piece by piece so there was a trail of clothing leading from the door to the house. As a teen, now, he usually ends up in boxers or thinks nothing of running around with just a towel on -- usually within 15 minutes of getting home.

So, he comes walking out of his bedroom, chin tucked forward, yanking on his testicles showing me and asking, "Mom, are these _my_ eggs?"

LOL.

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org