[lbo-talk] Benny Morris on Hamas

Joel Schalit managingeditor at tikkun.org
Mon Jul 10 11:40:58 PDT 2006

Morris took a very strong rightward turn during the Al-Aksa Intifada. Ari Shavit conducted an interview with him in Haaretz in 2004, in which Morris first revealed the extent of his ideological transformation.

The original Haaretz interview is no longer available on their website, but Counterpunch reproduced it:

http://www.counterpunch.org/shavit01162004.html

If the Levitt review upsets you, this interview will make you positively ill. Particularly if you're a fan of such books as Righteous Victims.

I've read the Levitt book - we got a copy at Tikkun for review. Its actually quite interesting, but nothing worth pimping like Morris' review does. Just another neocon publication on the Mid-East whose data is curious to check out, but whose moral trajectory is utterly deplorable.

So sad to read this review though. I was just working on putting together an anthology of Tikkun's coverage of the Israel-Palestinian conflict over the past twenty years. Morris used to write for us with some frequency when he was still a leftist.

The articles we published of his during the late eighties - until 1998 - were truly stunning pieces of progressive historiography. The irony is not lost on me that since his conversion, so to speak, he's become one of the New Republic's chief Israeli reps.

Joel