[lbo-talk] Men are slackers

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Tue Jul 11 21:53:15 PDT 2006

The New York Times Magazine had an article this past week on how women's college achivement is outstripping men's. In addition to whatever statistics they had, which I don't remember, they had some anecdotal evidence. They interviewed a woman who had a billion academic honors, and then they interviewed some guys who said, yeah, well, we should study, but we'd rather play electronic games.

If this is true, which I have no idea if it is, it would suggest one possible explanation. Posting on listservs is largely a form of slacking. If men slack more, it would not be surprising if they post more on listservs. The opportunity cost of women's time may be higher. Men may have a higher discount rate.