[lbo-talk] soccer

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 12 11:51:59 PDT 2006

from my rugby club listserve:-

Joe W. ______________________ absolutely Patrick!

much of the discussion has revolved around how Zidane has soiled his mantle through this action, rather than the issues you have raised below - Zindane's action was the rhetorical equivalent of shouting loudly at a genteel cocktail party - "and what about that elephant behind the curtain!!" He has acted out before due to the usual frustrations soccer players face - and grew up in a tough neighborhood where one learned how to fight as a matter of course. However, his action was less a function of his predisposition than it was a reaction to the racism that permeates European soccer today - which is in turn an expression of resurgent facism on that continent (and the world in general).

Joe W. ____________________

Patrick Gardner <baraci2003 at yahoo.com> wrote:

Joseph-

Thanks for bringing this up. I know it is soccer and not rugby but it still matters. Racism is not dead in the U.S. nor in the international arena. Besides the racist comment that could have been said I heard he might have been called a terrorist. Zidane is of Algerian descent and his family moved to France when he was younger (I believe). For those who do not know Algeria was a violently opposed country to French Colonialism. In the 1950's and 1960's during the African post-colonial era, Algeria fiercely contested French occupation. They used Gorilla tactics to ward off the French and eventually won most of their independence from colonial power France. The Algerian people fought hard against the oppression and second class citizen status given to them by the French occupiers. Some say they used Terrorist tactics (I.E. Bombings etc....) to force the French out. When "Occupied", is there any other way to get those in power out? (I.E. Iraq, Palestine, Chechnya, U.S.A. Rev. War)

I would say yes, (Nonviolent resistance. Easier said than done) but you have to use common sense in understanding that resistance comes in all shapes, forms and sizes. Franz Fanon was a French Nationalist/Dr./Psychologist/Freedom fighter who saw the pain and suffering in Algeria and dedicated his life to healing that pain. That is one way to combat oppression from the inside out (Anyone ready to head to Iraq?).

If Zidane was called a terrorist or racial slurs repeatedly and the Italian defenders were physically harassing him all game you could see why he might snap. It would be so very insulting and degrading to his identity.This does not justify his action but it makes a good argument for why one might react so strongly to words. In the end Zidane gave up way more than he got by reacting with physical violence.

In the heat of the moment, game or whatever people say things they don't believe or really feel to get a reaction or to get the opponent out of their game. In this case it appears the Italian tactics worked. Zidane and France will never forget this world cup or their national hero who originated from a place that many French would just soon forget.

PG's two cents.

Joseph Wanzala <jaramogi68 at yahoo.com> wrote:

A Racist Slur at the World Cup? By Dave Zirin, AlterNet Posted on July 11, 2006, Printed on July 11, 2006 http://www.alternet.org/story/38780/

Imagine Michael Jordan in his last game, with the score tied in overtime, knocking out his defender with a punch to the throat. Imagine Derek Jeter in game seven of the World Series, at bat with the bases loaded, thrashing the opposing team's catcher over the head with his bat. Our collective shock