[lbo-talk] the state

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jul 12 14:59:48 PDT 2006

On Jul 12, 2006, at 5:34 PM, JBrown72073 at cs.com wrote:

> And how do you propose to dissolve those boundaries--with the
> bourgeoisie in
> control of the state apparatus and armed to the teeth? Flowers in
> the guns?
> They don't take kindly to even small suggestions for
> redistribution, you know.

This is what's really hard. How can you have an effective political movement that doesn't ossify into something authoritarian? How can you reconcile a decentralized, democratic structure with getting anything done? Listening to greens makes me feel like a Leninist, and listening to Leninists makes me feel like an anarchist. The Bolshies won their revo because the Russian bourgeoisie had fallen apart. Short of a piece of luck like that, what do you do? And though I catch hell every time I say this, just what have the Zapatistas, with their nonstatist concept of revolution, actually accomplished? It's enough to make one want to retire to a life of aesthetic contemplation.

Doug