[lbo-talk] Democracy activists accuse Putin of repression

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 13 09:20:02 PDT 2006

Um, are you aware than Kasyanov's nickname is Misha 2%?

Why are you posting uninformed, half-digested propaganda? Do you have an agenda, or are you just an idiot?

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/13831347/print/1/displaymode/1098/

> [...]
> two-day conference in Moscow which brought under one
> roof a diverse
> collection of speakers. They included Andrei
> Illarionov, Mr Putin's
> former chief economic adviser, Lyudmila Alexeeva, a
> Soviet-era dissident
> and human rights activist, and Eduard Limonov, head
> of the radical
> National Bolshevik party.
>
> Speakers highlighted what they called the lack of
> media freedom and an
> independent judiciary in Russia, and complained of
> manipulation of the
> political process by a small elite within or linked
> to the Kremlin which
> now controlled much of the country's natural
> resource wealth.
>
> Garry Kasparov, the former world chess champion who
> organised the event,
> said nearly 50 activists had been arrested or
> detained on their way to
> Moscow or the St Petersburg rally. Some faced
> charges of terrorism or
> drug possession, he added. The claims could not be
> independently
> verified.
>
> "Systematic repression against the Russian
> opposition has
> become...the prelude to the G8 summit," conference
> participants said
> in their letter to G8 leaders. "It is apparent to us
> that this campaign
> is centralised, and by all means sanctioned, by the
> political leadership
> of our country."
>
> Several G8 officials or diplomats defied an earlier
> warning from Igor
> Shuvalov, a senior aide to Mr Putin and Russia's G8
> "sherpa", that
> attending the Moscow conference would be seen as an
> "unfriendly
> gesture".
>
> Tony Brenton, British ambassador to Moscow,
> addressed the meeting
> yesterday where he was interrupted by a pro-Kremlin
> heckler. Daniel
> Fried, US assistant secretary of state for European
> and Eurasian
> affairs, who was also present, noted that if Russian
> officials attended
> a US opposition meeting "we wouldn't regard it as
> anything other than
> doing their job".
>
> Political analysts say Russia's G8 presidency is
> less important for Mr
> Putin's domestic audience. But they say the Russian
> president is anxious
> to win international recognition of Russia's role as
> a world player.
>
> "The Russian leadership is seeking legitimisation
> from the west for its
> political course," Lilia Shevtsova of the Moscow
> Carnegie Center
> think-tank told yesterday's conference. "But we have
> to realise that
> western influence [on Russia] is now very minimal,
> it's very limited."
>
> Copyright The Financial Times Ltd. All rights

Lyubo, bratsy, lyubo, lyubo, bratsy, zhit!

ËÞÁÎ, ÁÐÀÒÖÛ, ËÞÁÎ, ËÞÁÎ, ÁÐÀÒÖÛ, ÆÈÒÜ!