[lbo-talk] Re: What is Israel's Objective?

Seth Kulick skulick at seas.upenn.edu
Thu Jul 13 11:03:10 PDT 2006

> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 09:36:35 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Dwayne Monroe <idoru345 at yahoo.com>
> Subject: [lbo-talk] What is Israel's Objective?
> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org
>
> Of course, the recovery of kidnapped soldiers is not a
> plausible explanation for the IDF's Gaza/Lebanon
> offensive which, from where I sit, looks like nothing
> short of complete insanity (especially in the post
> Iraq invasion world - the air is heavy with a feeling
> of runaway catastrophe).
>
> Strikes against bridges, the Beirut airport and any
> civilians who happen to be in the way of Israeli
> ordinance must be part of some larger strategic goal.
>
> But what?
>
> Officially, besides the return of the captured IDF
> soldiers, neutralizing Hezbollah is high on the to-do
> list. But something else, something larger, seems to
> be at work here.

I was listening to angryarab's appearance on Flashpoints yesterday, and I think he said something along the lines of how the left should not analyze this as some sort of larger strategic move. Basically because the Israeli and US governments are too dumb for that, and that in general, especially with the ones in office now, they react the one way they really know how, with a massive use of force. I may be misquoting, though.