[lbo-talk] Kemp & Edwards agree - time to get tuff with Russia

Steven L. Robinson srobin21 at comcast.net
Fri Jul 14 10:49:06 PDT 2006

No doubt that Russia produces a lot of oil - although I recall reading in a couple of places recently that its production is near peak.

True, energy prices have historically fluctuated - boom and bust - as in 1986. But at that time Saudi Arabia had the excess capacity to flood the market with crude and drive the price down. If it still has that capacity now, it hasn't used it.. Either the Saudi monarchy is, for unexplained reasons, resisting the entreaties of its patron the United State to increase production, or it can't.

Granted that if the price of natural gas falls, revenue obviously falls too. But does Europe have alternative supplies of natural gas sufficient to enable them to refuse to buy Russian gas? which country has the capacity now to flood the market with natural gas sufficient to drive the price down to the levels of 1/2 its current price? SR

-------------- Original message -------------- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>