[lbo-talk] our legislators at work

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Fri Jul 14 13:50:11 PDT 2006

At around 4/7/06 1:37 pm, Doug Henwood wrote:
> [from my college class listserv - the audio is remarkable]
>
> Senator Ted Stevens, Republican from Alaska ....
>
> [...]
>
> The regulatory approach is wrong. Your approach is regulatory in the
> sense that it says "No one can charge anyone for massively invading this
> world of the internet". No, I'm not finished. I want people to
> understand my position, I'm not going to take a lot of time. They want
> to deliver vast amounts of information over the internet. And again, the
> internet is not something you just dump something on. It's not a truck.
>
> It's a series of tubes.
>
> And if you don't understand those tubes can be filled and if they are
> filled, when you put your message in, it gets in line and its going to
> be delayed by anyone that puts into that tube enormous amounts of
> material, enormous amounts of material. ...

I have seen a few people forward this around, and I agree its good for laughs, but I am curious: what do you think is essentially wrong about his description?

He is wrong about why his email message (which he mistakenly referred to as his Internet) may have got delayed. And he is a bit wrong about some of the other stuff, but I don't get what is being ridiculed. Is it his metaphors? Or delivery?

--ravi

-- Support something better than yourself: ;-) PeTA: http://www.peta.org/ GreenPeace: http://www.greenpeace.org/ If you have nothing better to do: http://platosbeard.org/