[lbo-talk] our legislators at work

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Fri Jul 14 19:29:51 PDT 2006

At around 14/7/06 5:15 pm, Doug Henwood wrote:
> On Jul 14, 2006, at 4:50 PM, ravi wrote:
>
>> I have seen a few people forward this around, and I agree its good for
>> laughs, but I am curious: what do you think is essentially wrong about
>> his description?
>>
>> He is wrong about why his email message (which he mistakenly referred to
>> as his Internet) may have got delayed. And he is a bit wrong about some
>> of the other stuff, but I don't get what is being ridiculed. Is it his
>> metaphors? Or delivery?
>
> The general ignorance and illiteracy of his remarks. And the "tubes" bit
> makes it sound like he thinks the Internet is some subterranean
> pneumatic arrangement, like they had in the 19C.

Yeah there's definitely room for amusement in his little speech, but to be fair to him, its not an entirely inappropriate analogy/explication. His point, given a charitable reading, is that its not like all our data sits in one big truck and travels end to end, but that it passes through a series of pipes. He should have added: as discrete chunks. As he points out, when someone initiates a large transfer, your chunks get queued up within or behind theirs, and since there are a lot of chunks of their data, you inevitably get your data later (this cannot be the reason, though, for his email delays). I am generalizing a lot (and there are particular TCP behaviour issues and router configurations that

make things more complex) but not at the risk of error.

His point is this: why should regular users of the Internet suffer because people provide and other people consume crazy downloads (e.g: huge video files)? This is pertinent, I would suggest, since no network provider will provision for peak usage. His argument (if I am getting it right) is incorrect/disingenuous, not technically, but empirically/logically: Verizon and AT&T want to police the pipes not to ensure fair use, but to offer privileged use.

What I would like is not net neutrality, but what Stevens seems to unwittingly be asking for: net fairness. Legislation that requires NSPs to: throttle or back-pressure large flows at routers. Provide public access connectivity and services (similar to public access TV). etc.

I leave you with this:

http://www.freepress.net/docs/dj_teds_techno_tubes.mp3

;-)

--ravi

P.S: I should add that most of the delays are due to the lack of capacity at the regional networks and the last hop to the end user.

-- Support something better than yourself: ;-) PeTA: http://www.peta.org/ GreenPeace: http://www.greenpeace.org/ If you have nothing better to do: http://platosbeard.org/