[lbo-talk] Re: Another Russia

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 15 05:55:09 PDT 2006

This is getting silly. Putin has the support of 70-80% of the population. The segments of the population that don't support him are 90% backers of the Communist Party or ultranationalists. "Liberals" get about 8% of the vote in Moscow ('cuz they are parties of the rich, and Moscow is rich) and about 2% in most of the provinces. Nota Bene: the actual liberal parties (SPS and Yabloko) completely boycotted the Another Russia farce, because they knew that if they attended they would lose all credibility with the electorate.

BTW Dwayne, WRT Peter Lavelle -- too bad he's in Petersburg covering the G8 right now and doesn't have Internet access, so he can't comment. I am rather proud to be able to say that I played a small role in the creation of Untimely Thoughts.

--- Willy Greenfields <filthydirtyunwashed at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Michael Givel writes re: US-backed Russian
> opposition:
>
> >On the one hand they are a bunch of marginal looney
> >tunes and on the other they are unwhitting pawns in
> >greater foreign and U.S conspiracy. Amazing!
>
> I have no dog in this fight but you're just being
> silly if you can't acknowledge that the US uses
> anything - no matter how outlandish - to advance
> what
> it misapprehends as its interests. Here it wants to
> make Russia look bad. Full stop. So they inflate a
> bunch of groups with extremely limited constituency
> in
> Russia with well-founded hopes that Westerners won't
> bother to realize that it's more indifference to
> these
> groups rather than active repression that keeps them
> marginal.
>
> I refer you to the career of Douglas Feith, Colin
> Powell's straight-faced presentation of a
> scale-model
> airplane as a biochem weapons delivery system, the
> cynical championing of Chalabi and the episodic
> reappearance of Manucher Ghorbanifar. If the US is
> willing to perpetrate frauds such as these against
> its
> own people why on earth would you think they
> wouldn't
> try something far more egregious elsewhere in the
> world (indeed, one should marvel at their restraint
> WRT Russia).
>
> What strikes me as most amazing (your word) is the
> casual dismissal of overwhelming Russian support for
> Putinism. I guess they're all dupes, too.

Lyubo, bratsy, lyubo, lyubo, bratsy, zhit!

ËÞÁÎ, ÁÐÀÒÖÛ, ËÞÁÎ, ËÞÁÎ, ÁÐÀÒÖÛ, ÆÈÒÜ!