[lbo-talk] Raimondo Gets It Right

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 16 10:52:56 PDT 2006

Mike Larkin:

Sorry, you'll have to do better than that. Raimondo would be the first to say that there's nothing "shadowy" about Tel Aviv's influence. It's all right in the open.

Whether the influence is open or clandestine isn't the point of contention.

It's the reversed control flow he's describing - the insistence that Washington dances to Tel Aviv's tune - that is the real area of discussion.

But there's no need to banter back and forth with our own words, we can turn to the text in question for clues:

Raimondo writes:

"Yet the U.S. is still shilling for the Israelis..."

[...]

SHILLING.

A shill is, among other things, an employee, a servant, a person singing the praises of another for that other's benefit. Is this really what Washington's doing? That is, is the imperial center being dragged about on a leash by one of its client states?

FIFTH COLUMN.

"Israel's fifth column in America has been enormously successful..."

[...]

Which implies these lobbyists are traitors. But traitors to what? Some other ME policy the US would pursue were it not for the interference of these "shills"?

HIJACKED.

"The Mearsheimer-Walt thesis – that U.S. foreign policy has been hijacked (kidnapped, if you will) by what they refer to as "the Lobby" – has so far been confirmed by the events of the past few days."

[...]

And here again, we encounter the idea that the client state is steering the direction of its protector.

APPEASING.

"The short answer: stop appeasing Israel – and start looking out for American interests. The Amen Corner makes no such distinction, but clearly there is one, the most obvious being that we (unlike the Israelis) have no interest fomenting a wider war..."

[...]

What "we" is Raimondo referring to? Surely it can't be Washington which must see some usefulness in Israeli aggression or the cash spigot would run dry.

Let's construct a sentence from the key concepts sprinkled throughout the article:

/ A traitorous fifth column has hijacked the United States' ME policy. Consequently Washington now acts as a shill for Tel Aviv. We must stop appeasing the Israelis and pursue our own interests. /

This is really what Raimondo's article amounts to. It's built upon the "logical fallacy" Chip mentioned. In the command and control flowchart Raimondo has sketched out, all the arrows are moving in the wrong direction.

.d.

--------- The 21st century's mightiest blogo-techno-cryto-orgasmo-fascist!

http://monroelab.net/blog/