[lbo-talk] Raimondo Gets It Right

mike larkin mike_larkin2001 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 16 17:45:17 PDT 2006

Dwayne Monroe: Whether the influence is open or clandestine isn't the point of contention. It's the reversed control flow he's describing - the insistence that Washington dances to Tel Aviv's tune - that is the real area of discussion. But there's no need to banter back and forth with our own words, we can turn to the text in question for clues

Is he arguing that Israel often leads the U.S. on policy? Absolutely. The best analogy is to Cuba and the USSR in Africa in the 1970s. The Cubans went in there over the objections of the Soviets and forced the Russians to adopt a more pro-Third World foreign policy.