[lbo-talk] Re-intro

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 17 09:18:49 PDT 2006

Doug and Tahir,

I have just translated into English a text by Michael Heinrich, who is one of the finest experts on Marx's mature critique of political economy. He is checking over the translation to make sure everything is in top shape, then I will post it on this list and hopefully other places.

The text deals with the necessity of a contemporary reading of Marx's Capital, the need to understand Marx's intent to provide a depiction of the dynamics of capitalism at the level of its "ideal average," and Marx's method of categorical development, which necessitates a reading of all three volumes of Capital, since each category pre-supposes the category following it in the depiction.

Anyway, one section of the text (towards the end) deals with the shallowness of the "imperialism" term, how Lenin's use of the term is based upon a shallow reading of Marx's critical theory and how even on the level of empirical observation Lenin got a lot wrong. Heinrich also criticizes attempts like Hardt and Negri's Empire to move away from imperialism-theory without necessarily calling the category itself into question.

Heinrich is one of the finest Marx exegetes around. And after writing a slim introductory book to all three volumes of Capital, he seems to pop up in quite a few publications. Many younger activists involved in Antifa and globalization stuff seem to be really into his work.

Like I say, once I have his approval, I will post the article here.