[lbo-talk] U.S. Rescue Bogs Down in Lebanon

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 18 13:09:39 PDT 2006

Chuck Grimes:

I guess, if you ain't got the Doe Re Me folks, you can wait while we process your credit application for an emergency loan...

It would be nice if somebody with media connections actually documented the story Doug posted from a friend stuck at the airport. (The stranded have to pay for their own evacuation)

-----------------------

Perhaps I'm wrong. Perhaps there'll be no perceptual repercussions.

But...

Many Americans nurture a subconscious vision of what their government will do to help them escape this sort of emergency.

That vision - I suspect - involves carrier battle groups, fleets of helicopters, "military efficiency" (the final dream of an age bureaucratized into a stupendous inefficiency)...

The elements of a Jerry Bruckheimer Summer-time blockbuster.

Instead, they get busy signals, confusing directions and loan applications.

Isn't this the last thing a government can fail at before the threads start to come loose? You can't protect me, they'll say (though the corporate media will work to mask - there'll be photos of sun tanned blondes gratefully hugging square jawed marines in combat kit..watch your head Miss as you get into the Chinook).

.d.

--------- She loves penicillin...and compromise. She's going to go for it

...................... http://monroelab.net/blog/