how we could win [was Re: [lbo-talk] how Hillary could win]

George Scialabba scialabb at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Jul 19 10:37:10 PDT 2006

Well, not just *any* laundry list. Suppose they campaigned really hard for universal single-payer health care, retention and extension of the estate tax, increased capital gains tax, 50 percent reduction of the defense budget, stiff gasoline tax, large research budget for alternative fuels, universal free preschool, 3 percent of national income for overseas development assistance, no tests of nuclear weapons and gradual reduction of the stockpile plus no-first-use pledge, 30 percent increase in the minimum wage to be funded by a 1 percent surtax on incomes over $1m/yr, renunciation of our Security Council veto, increased and timely payment of UN dues, constitutional amendment stripping corporations of status as legal persons, extension and enforcement of the Freedom of Information Act, greatly increased citizen oversight of EPA and FDA, etc, etc, etc. [Add your own laundry items.] Wouldn't that be progress?