[lbo-talk] Re: how we could win

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Thu Jul 20 10:06:23 PDT 2006

Charles Brown writes:
>CB: How about a Constitutional Amendment for a right to a job ( for
>'Mericans) ?

Plus free higher education, along with the national health insurance. Er, why not the whole Labor Party program, while we're at it (www.thelaborparty.org):

1 Amend the Constitution to Guarantee Everyone a Job at a Living Wage 2 Pay Laid-off Workers Two Months Severance for Every Year of Service 3 Restore Workers Rights to Organize, Bargain and Strike 4 End Bigotry: An Injury to One Is an Injury to All 5 Guarantee Universal Access to Quality Health Care 6 More Time for Family and Community: -A 32-Hour, 4-day Work Week -Double-time Minimum for All Overtime -An Hour Off with Pay for Every two Hours of Overtime -20 Mandatory Paid Vacation Days for All -One Year Paid Leave for Every Seven Years of Work 7 Protect Our Families: -Paid Family Leave -Flexible Working Schedules -Affordable Child and Elder Care for All -Mandatory Minimum Pensions for All -Guaranteed Adequate Annual Income for All 8 Ensure Everyone Access to Quality Public Education 9 Stop Corporate Abuse of Trade 10 End Corporate Welfare as We Know It 11 Make the Wealthy Pay their Fair Share of Taxes 12 Revitalize the Public Sector 13 End Corporate Domination of Elections 14 Build A Just Transition Movement to Protect Jobs and the Environment 15 Enforce Safety & Health Regulation with Worker Inspectors 16 Reclaiming the Workplace: Job Design, Technology and Skill

Oh, damn, that's right, they're not going to do any of that unless there's a massive political threat to their way of life, that's why we started the Labor Party. Now I'm remembering.

Jenny Brown co-chair, Alachua County Labor Party, Gainesville, Florida