[lbo-talk] stupidest quote of the week from an American politician?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Jul 20 16:53:40 PDT 2006

On Jul 20, 2006, at 3:58 PM, George Scialabba wrote:

> Very eloquent, Jerry, and largely true. But I'm not sure I agree
> with you about this: "Pointing to elections in order to show how
> people are hoodwinked is almost meaningless." Why? I can understand
> being too disgusted, discouraged, or depressed to vote at all. But
> to vote Republican seems to me, for anyone making less than $100
> thousand a year, foolish, and for anyone making more, selfish. I
> just can't reconcile voting Republican with being both intelligent
> and decent. Doesn't compute.

Maybe I spend too much time reading polls - I'm sure Cde Cox would tell me I do - but there's much more agreement with Republican *economic* policies among middle-income white people than most leftists would like to admit. It's not just the culture three-card monte trick, as Tom Frank would have it - much of white Protestant America likes The Market. And doesn't like black people, of course.

Doug