[lbo-talk] stupidest quote of the week from an American politician?

George Scialabba scialabb at fas.harvard.edu
Thu Jul 20 17:14:34 PDT 2006

Yes, of course, nearly all Americans, including Democrats and even some intelligent people, like The Market. But the hallmarks of contemporary Republicanism -- corruption, cronyism, voting fraud, punitive reductions in social spending, extremely regressive tax policy, fantastically bloated defense budget, environmental irresponsibility, gutting of regulatory agencies, etc, -- don't follow from a commitment to the market. Of course, Republican propaganda pretends that they do, but how much intelligence does it take to see through that?