[lbo-talk] stupidest quote of the week from an American politician?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jul 20 17:29:17 PDT 2006

Jerry Monaco wrote:

> My question is where is the proof for your evolutionary reasoning. I
> am not asking for absolute proof. I just want some, a little.
> Neither of us disagree that humans are able to be indoctrinated.

Here is an attribute, shared by the _whole_ of the species (including most emphatically those who claim not to be indoctrinated). And it seems to me that the capacity to follow a leader without too much questioning, including too much questioning of how the leader happens to be a leader, is a capacity which would have had great survival value in the 100k years or so prior to the emergence of biologically modern humans, as well as during the several 10s of thousands of years during which the h. sapiens species would have become well established. That is, if you want to offer an evolutionary account of this capacity I would be willing to entertain it. Those who blame humans for this capacity are just finking out on the obligation (if they think they know better) to create the conditions under which a reasonably large number of humans will shift their position.

Doug has never understood my position on polls. They are useful. They simply have a different meaning than what passive journalists and academics ascribe to them.

Carrol