[lbo-talk] Re: A Light Unto Nations

Seth Kulick skulick at seas.upenn.edu
Thu Jul 20 21:13:29 PDT 2006

A sort of followup to those pictures, from Mark Elf's site jewssansfrontieres.blogspot.com:

http://jewssansfrontieres.blogspot.com/2006/07/voice-of-peace-from-kiryat-shmona.html

Voice of peace from Kiryat Shmona

These pictures have been doing the rounds for a while now and they

appear on many websites.The same sites show the result of these signed

"gifts" from Israeli children.

Well someone calling themselves Gillian Henderson wrote to the Just

Peace list justifying these Israeli atrocities thus:

First of all the two girls are from kiryat shmona so they have

spent their entire lives in bomb shelters so i thinks its resonable

to be angry with the hizbullah.They are writing messages to

nazrallah not to the children of lebanon.And one other thing the

arab children are consatntly being shown in homicide bomber outfits

and at hamas railies but somehow the left seem to have little

outrage about that.

This led to the following response from my friend Inbar Tamari:

I'm really pleased that Gillian Henderson is concerned for the

welfare of children in my home town of Kiryat Shmona. This of

course will be ensured by teaching them to hate the children of

Lebanon -- who are the main beneficiaries of these gifts from their

Israeli neighbours. Bur these children are apparently not worth

Gillian's concern.

I grew up in Kiryat Shmona until I was 18, and I did spend time in

shelters, and was often evacuated; the girls in the photo were

presumably born after the end of regullar shelling, and have only

suffered from occasional attacks, always in response to a

delibarate Israeli provocation. I never thought the answer is in

hating the other side. During 82, when I was 18, I volunteered to

help in the bomb shelters and I often heard ordinary, working class

people linking and anticipating the Israeli bombing of Lebanon with

the bombs they would suffer later. It is simple and populistic to

fan hatred, it is much more time consuming and less rewarding to

fight for understanding. In 82 there were many peace demos in

Israel, including in Kiryat Shmona, by some people, including my

family and some of my friends, who believed in talk rather than

war. What these girls were doing was not the instinctive behaviour

of people from Kiryat Shmona; it is taught behaviour, part of the

construction of a common enemy.

Inbar Tamari