[lbo-talk] America Held Hostage

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jul 21 10:11:41 PDT 2006

On Jul 21, 2006, at 11:11 AM, Carl Remick wrote:

> If there is a scintilla of good news from the Lebanon horror, it is
> that no rational being can continue to deny the Israel lobby's
> awesome sway -- aided, of course, by the supreme tractability of
> the American people. I just read a post here by Jerry Monaco
> taking Wojtek to task for comparing people in general to sheep. I
> agree that this is an unfair comparison, since in the case of
> Americans it is quite insulting to sheep. Sheep at least have some
> volitional capacity; USers seem to have none. Presented with a
> force field like the Israel lobby, Americans just line up like iron
> filings in the desired pattern.

Uh, no, the U.S. pop's support for Israel is much more positive than that. As Pew reported the other day, more than a third (36%) of Americans think supporting Israel will lubricate the Second Coming. There's also a substantial identification with a religiously driven settler state that sees itself as a light unto the world. That's a lot more volitional than sheep.

Doug