[lbo-talk] America Held Hostage

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 21 11:01:40 PDT 2006

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>
>On Jul 21, 2006, at 11:11 AM, Carl Remick wrote:
>
>>If there is a scintilla of good news from the Lebanon horror, it is that
>>no rational being can continue to deny the Israel lobby's awesome sway --
>>aided, of course, by the supreme tractability of the American people. I
>>just read a post here by Jerry Monaco taking Wojtek to task for comparing
>>people in general to sheep. I agree that this is an unfair comparison,
>>since in the case of Americans it is quite insulting to sheep. Sheep at
>>least have some volitional capacity; USers seem to have none. Presented
>>with a force field like the Israel lobby, Americans just line up like
>>iron filings in the desired pattern.
>
>Uh, no, the U.S. pop's support for Israel is much more positive than that.
>As Pew reported the other day, more than a third (36%) of Americans think
>supporting Israel will lubricate the Second Coming. ...

If anything, that confirms my point. Who but a suggestible fool could believe in a Second Coming or in Israel's lubrication thereof? Acclaimed religious bore G. K. Chesterton may be best known for something he apparently never actually said but that, I believe, accurately expressed his POV, i.e., "When a man stops believing in God he doesn't then believe in nothing, he believes anything." As has been noted, that comment gets it exactly backward: Someone who believes in God has already demonstrated the capacity to "believe anything." Credulousness -- in foreign affairs, spirituality, economics, you name it -- is one of the few things Americans excel at.

Carl