[lbo-talk] Is this the new left?

info at pulpculture.org info at pulpculture.org
Fri Jul 21 15:01:08 PDT 2006

At 05:47 PM 7/21/2006, ravi wrote:

>Indeed he is doing exactly those two (the fallacies and lack of
>reasoning I outline above, the association is clear with the quick jump
>to Herman et al -- and it is noteworthy that even in tackling Herman he
>resorts to quoting the *opinions* of others, such as Ian Willaims), plus
>a bit more. And what is awful about it is that he is doing it while
>claiming to be a (or speaking on behalf of) true progressive(s).
>
>If he considers himself part of the left there are better ways to bring
>out such disagreements.
>

> > So... After all that, if this is going otturn into an idiot-fest
> > telling me how wrong I am to be a Chomsky hater, I will ignore your
> > asses. HA
>

>Be a Chomsky-hater, fan, ambivalent, whatever your reasoning leads you
>to. But read through Berube's rant and the links he provides. And even
>if it is boring, consider again the bulk of Chomsky's writings and the
>meticulous attention to detail and the general absence of histrionics.
>And I write this as someone who has my own problems with Chomsky's style.

thank you. that makes a lot of sense and I agree, now that you've explained it better.

I probably also don't think much of Chomsky for what I think was very much NOT a documented attack on feminists who didn't have the decency to even name so I could read what they wrote and assess his arguments.

I'm sorry, but I do think it matters. People get wrapped up in fandom and I have been attacked too often for simply not being impressed, any more than I'm impressed by a zizek essay that tells me nothing different than he told me in 1997. I'm quite capable of it with BE (sorry for the rever ad hom! ha!) I find that a sign of fandom, when no one will even countenance the teeniest critique of God. I sit there and preface it all with all kinds of statements, but people here an din bloglandia jump all over my ass.

blah foo. up with clay feet, down with pedestals. (and no, wasnt' impressed with your defense of yourself for calling Black names. I don't care if he's a high school drop out and called him an idiot. Calling people punks and half wits because you don't know who they are and didn't bother to find out doesn't cut it. I don't care how fucking smart and how many degrees and what intellectual heritage he built up. Black's use of "idiot" stood for itself, whether chomsky was a drop out or what, and you didn't need to pile on.

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org