[lbo-talk] Is this the new left?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jul 21 22:11:19 PDT 2006

On Jul 21, 2006, at 9:17 PM, Dwayne Monroe wrote:

> K, you mentioned at some point that by the time you
> read Chomsky's books, your response was a big ho hum
> because you already knew pretty much all of what he
> had to say and you didn't like his dull way with
> words.. I get that but I assure you (and I'm speaking
> directly from personal experience here) for an
> American who feels something's out of joint – a
> person, for example, who senses that Washington's
> support of Tel Aviv's most recent assault on Lebanon
> is not quite right but who doesn't know why and gets
> no help from the usual media outlets – there is
> nothing quite like the a ha moment when Chomsky pulls
> it all together.

Yeah, a lot of us already know the stuff Chomsky writes about, but hundreds of thousands of people get their first or second doses of critiques of the empire from his writing and lectures - all of it well-documented, intelligently laid out, eminently sane & rational. That alone makes him a national treasure.

Doug