[lbo-talk] Summer Reading

Dennis Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Sun Jul 23 20:25:45 PDT 2006

> ...because we still have the luxury of escape, because during the summer
> people take off and actually have the time to read, I'm sending some
> teasers and suggestions and hope others will do the same.

Hmm, let's see, two of my favorites:

Miguel Asturias, "Men of Maize". (Translated by Gerald Martin). Magnificent novel from Guatemala, in a good translation which communicates the scintillating poetry of the original. Written back in 1949, but astoundingly prescient about the indigenous-led political eruptions of Latin America, a.k.a. the return of Gaspar Ilom.

Ismat Chughtai, "The Crooked Line". Written in 1942, translated from Urdu to English, and one of the great novels from India. Powerful, surging and deeply autobiographical work by one of India's greatest woman writers.

-- DRR