[lbo-talk] Moishe Postone - History and Helplessness: MassMobilization and Contemporary Forms of Anticapitalism

Dennis Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Mon Jul 24 12:22:41 PDT 2006

Angelus wrote:

> but I think the differences
> between Washington and the Berlin-Paris axis
> concerning the war in Iraq were more than just a minor
> schism. This is obscured somewhat now that Merkel is
> chancellor, but I don't think this has disappeared
> from the stage permanently.

The Postone article has some good points, but the talk about the EU being a competitor to the US is misplaced. This was true twenty years ago, but today the EU is a superstate with 450 million citizens and a GDP slightly larger than the US. Eurocapitalism has morphed from the gleam in the eye of Jean Monnet, to a behemoth whose only serious competitor is East Asian keiretsu capitalism.

-- DRR