[lbo-talk] We're all Hezbollah...

www.leninology. blogspot.com leninology at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 24 13:59:08 PDT 2006

Tim wrote:

>I think there are two audiences worth thinking about for
>slogans. The first are people on the demonstration itself, for whom you
>want a slogan that strengthens morale and, perhaps, makes some kind of
>political intervention. The second would be people who broadly agree
>with the demonstration but aren't yet active; I guess what you want to
>say to them is something like "we're actively involved in politic, you
>can be too."

That's a good point, actually. This slogan was raised outside the US Embassy, not on Picaddilly - albeit the Hezbollah flags were flying prominently throughout the demo. I suspect it was the arrival at Nemesis that got people fired up enough to shout that.

>I can maybe see the value of the "we are all Hezbollah" slogan in the
>first case; a strong gesture of solidarity is good motivation, and
>mentioning Hezbollah in particular is a good challenge to a "they're
>both as bad as each other" liberalism, even if it is a bit of a "bending
>the stick" position (trolling as a revolutionary praxis). It's difficult
>to see it as a good slogan to target the second audience. I wonder how
>one goes about deciding in each case which audience it's more important
>to appeal to?

That's another good point.

_________________________________________________________________ Windows Live™ Messenger has arrived. Click here to download it for free! http://imagine-msn.com/messenger/launch80/?locale=en-gb