[lbo-talk] We're all Hezbollah...

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 24 15:57:46 PDT 2006

Here's something mind boggling (to me, anyway) -- I recently picked up a book called _War & Morality_, ed. Richard A. Wasserstrom, part of the "Basic Problems of Philosophy" series. With essay titles like "The Morality of Obliteration Bombing" I couldn't resist. Despite my personally being averse to Catholicism, the introduction notes that war & morality as a serious philosophical question had up until recently been pursued mainly by Catholic theologians.

The book opens with "Philosophers of the Western world have worried, by and large, comparatively little about the subject of war." And where it has been contemplated, it's been under the general subject of legality rather than morality.

-B.

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

"The 'protecting women and children' and the battlefield 'code of ethics' proscribing attacking "defenseless" targets is but a self-serving PR myth invented by the warrior class and their supporters to portray themselves as 'gentlemen' rather than savage butchers that they really are. "