[lbo-talk] We're all Hezbollah...

www.leninology. blogspot.com leninology at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 25 04:42:18 PDT 2006

>From: Chris Doss
>Angelus Novus <fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com>
>wrote:
>They have made out of Marx a sort of cosmic space
>opera Star Wars movie of the war between the exploiter
>and exploited, the opressor and the opressed.
>--
>
>Yup. That's why reading Lenin freaks me out.

Your being freaked out is a small misfortune, but the tatty bit of rhetorical graffiti from Angelus Novus should have nothing to do with it. Space opera this, cosmic that... why not Marx's own historical narrative? The history of the world is hitherto the history of class struggle, that sort of thing? It doesn't require Wagnerian alarums, light-sabres or any of that Lucasian trash. It requires a simple willingness to understand that the categories of oppressed and oppressor, exploited and exploiter are central to historical materialism, and are central to any analysis of this conflict. Insist on n+1 complicating factors if you like, but what is happening in Lebanon (and in Iraq and elsewhere) can't be understood without being willing to make such identifications.

_________________________________________________________________ Windows Live™ Messenger has arrived. Click here to download it for free! http://imagine-msn.com/messenger/launch80/?locale=en-gb