[lbo-talk] social democracy vs Marxism

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Wed Jul 26 13:08:31 PDT 2006

> His Imperialism Highest stage of Capitalism is applicable today
> better and was premature for his time.

How's that? Are the capitalist powers fighting with each other over dividing up the colonies? Are cartels dividing up the economic realm? Are imperialists earning superprofits in the colonized world?

Doug

^^^ CB: The dominance of finance capital seems more complete and global, monstrously elaborated ,than even in 1900. Monopoly, the essential of imperialism, has made a qualitative leap to transnationalism as compared with 100 years ago. Surely they are earning super-profits somewhere, even if not from paleo-colonies. One wonders why the U.S. superstate shows so much interest in so many neo-colonies,if those have nothing to do with corporations making profits ? The recent rash of wars and threats of wars ( pundits talk of WWIII and IV) might have something to do with conflicts between capitalists and ruling classes, "American" and "Arab". Hedge funds seem to be dividing up the economic realm. They remind of cartels.

We live in Son of Imperialism. The family resemblance is striking. Some of the forms have changed, but the substance of imperialism is in tact.