[lbo-talk] Fwd: Notes from the Siege 9&10

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Wed Jul 26 17:28:33 PDT 2006

============================ The Islamists are fighting to free their homeland of foreign occupation or the threat of same, which conforms to the principle of national self-determination, which I support. The objective of European fascists is to ensure the subjegation of coloured citizens and immigrants in their countries in the name of white Christian civilization, which I oppose. ============================= Or do you disagree with Tariq Ali
============================ I think Tariq Ali is appropriately trying to correct an adaptation to Islamic fundamentalism by a part of the anti-imperialist left, such as we have seen on this list. But I think he would also agree that, while Islamist ideology has right-wing characteristics, the European fascist movements place a much greater emphasis on race and ethnicity than does Islam, which is actually among the most ecumenical and multiracial of creeds. What unites Muslims is a common religion rather than the belief they constitute a distinct ethnic or racial group. From this persepective, I think the Zionists, who have subtly tried to transform Judaism from a religion to an "ethnicity", are closer to the racist ideology of the European fascists. The followers of Zeev Jabotinsky - the ideological forebears of the Israeli right - were quite explicit about this connection. ===============================