[lbo-talk] fascism

Tahir Wood twood at uwc.ac.za
Thu Jul 27 01:40:36 PDT 2006

The comparisons that have been made here between religious fundamentalism and fascism are interesting; they seem to revolve partly around the meaning of the word 'fascism'.

My own working definition of fascism has always been that it is ultra-nationalism. It posits a common identity, usually linked to ethnicity, but always linked to territory. Identity and territory are the two main mechanisms that people use to create the Other. And fascism is always deeply concerned with identifying and defining the Other.

>From the point of view of these definitions I would have no trouble
referring to both zionists and muslim fundamentalists as fascists. But in case of a debate that becomes too semantic in nature, I would also be quite happy to say that both are LIKE fascists. That would do me.

I do not think that western christian fundamentalists are always fascists or even like fascists. Many are merely conservative, which is different, maybe due to a western commitment to democracy, and nazi types are generally indifferent to Christianity, if not hostile to it. They usually prefer paganism, like Nietsche in fact.

Tahir -------------- next part -------------- All Email originating from UWC is covered by disclaimer http://www.uwc.ac.za/portal/uwc2006/content/mail_disclaimer/index.htm